The Schrödinger equation, the basic description of quantum mechanical behavior, can be used to describe the motion of superfluids—fluids, supercooled to temperatures near absolute zero, that behave as though they are without viscosity. Professor Peter Schröder and his colleagues realized that the same equation with some small modifications can also be used to describe vorticity dominated phenomena of fluids at the macroscopic level--from smoke gently rising from a flame to the concentrated vorticity of a twister. [Caltech story & video]
- November 16, 2018 12:00 PM IQIM Postdoctoral and Graduate Student Seminar Speaker: Kevin Slagle East Bridge 114
- November 16, 2018 12:00 PM Social and Information Sciences Laboratory (SISL) Seminar Speaker: Tewodros (Teddy) Mekonnen Baxter 125
- November 20, 2018 3:00 PM IQI Weekly Seminar Speaker: Christopher Chubb Annenberg 107
- November 27, 2018 12:00 PM IST Lunch Bunch Speaker: Ashish Kapoor Annenberg 105
- November 27, 2018 3:00 PM IQI Weekly Seminar Speaker: Takahiro Sagawa Annenberg 107
- More Events »
IST Meeting of the Minds
A day-long research conference featuring talks, laboratory open houses, and poster presentations by distinguished faculty, graduate students, undergraduates, and researchers from JPL showcasing the latest and most exciting work that is underway in CMS.
Frontiers in Computing + Mathematical Sciences
January 29, 2018 & February 5, 2018
A day-long event focused on providing startups and companies with a chance for meaningful interactions with undergraduate and graduate students, providing students with an opportunity to find out more about the breadth of applications for computing and mathematical sciences across industries.
Alumni College: Caltech Computes
A day-long event that will explore the ways in which computational thinking is disrupting science and engineering, and creating entirely new disciplines with "CS+X".
Ten Years of DNA Origami
A symposium to honor Paul Rothemund’s contribution to the field.
Caltech's premier interdisciplinary hackathon.
One Entangled Evening
A night of science and entertainment celebrating Feynman’s quantum legacy.
CDS 20th Anniversary
Control and Dynamical Systems celebrates its 20th anniversary.
Southern California Symposium on Network Economics and Game Theory.
CS 25th Anniversary
Computer Science celebrated 25 years of innovative, ground-breaking research.