Professor Yisong Yue is collaborating with Caltech seismologists to use artificial intelligence (AI) to improve the automated processes that identify earthquake waves and assess the strength, speed, and direction of shaking in real time. Professor Yue explains, “the reasons why AI can be a good tool have to do with scale and complexity coupled with an abundant amount of data. Earthquake monitoring systems generate massive data sets that need to be processed in order to provide useful information to scientists. AI can do that faster and more accurately than humans can, and even find patterns that would otherwise escape the human eye.” [Read the full Q&A]
- January 23, 2019 4:00 PM Rigorous Systems Research Group Seminar Speaker: Ramtin Madani Annenberg 314
- January 24, 2019 12:00 PM RIGOROUS SYSTEMS RESEARCH GROUP (RSRG) SEMINAR SERIES Speaker: Lili Su Annenberg 213
- January 24, 2019 12:00 PM CMS Partner Tech Talk Speaker: Haomiao Huang Annenberg 105
- January 25, 2019 12:00 PM Rigorour Systems Research Group (RSRG) Seminar Speaker: Yuxin Chen Annenberg 213
- January 25, 2019 12:00 PM IQIM Postdoctoral and Graduate Student Seminar Speaker: Andrea Coladangelo East Bridge 114
- More Events »
IST Meeting of the Minds
A day-long research conference featuring talks, laboratory open houses, and poster presentations by distinguished faculty, graduate students, undergraduates, and researchers from JPL showcasing the latest and most exciting work that is underway in CMS.
A day-long event focused on providing startups and companies with a chance for meaningful interactions with undergraduate and graduate students, providing students with an opportunity to find out more about the breadth of applications for computing and mathematical sciences across industries.
Alumni College: Caltech Computes
A day-long event that will explore the ways in which computational thinking is disrupting science and engineering, and creating entirely new disciplines with "CS+X".
Ten Years of DNA Origami
A symposium to honor Paul Rothemund’s contribution to the field.
Caltech's premier interdisciplinary hackathon.
One Entangled Evening
A night of science and entertainment celebrating Feynman’s quantum legacy.
CDS 20th Anniversary
Control and Dynamical Systems celebrates its 20th anniversary.
Southern California Symposium on Network Economics and Game Theory.
CS 25th Anniversary
Computer Science celebrated 25 years of innovative, ground-breaking research.