When Adam Wierman joined Caltech’s faculty in 2007, he set out to find a new challenge. “I wanted to do something about a problem of fundamental importance,” he says. “Climate is the problem.” To help clean up computing, he decided to design new algorithms for the management of data centers, communication networks, and our power grid. He hoped to find ways to improve the energy efficiency of I.T. infrastructure. But these efforts lead to Jevons paradox—a variation of “If you build it, they will come.” Economist William Jevons wrote in 1865, “It is wholly a confusion of ideas to suppose that the economical use of fuel is equivalent to a diminished consumption.” In other words, as people like Wierman make computing and the grid more efficient, we use more, out-spending the savings. [Breakthrough story]
- May 24, 2019 10:00 AM PhD Thesis Defense Speaker: Aubrey Shapero Moore 239
- May 24, 2019 12:00 PM Social and Information Sciences Laboratory (SISL) Seminar Speaker: Laura Doval Baxter 127
- May 24, 2019 12:00 PM IQIM Postdoctoral and Graduate Student Seminar Speaker: Hakan E. Tureci East Bridge 114
- May 28, 2019 12:00 PM Special Seminar in Computing and Mathematical Sciences Speaker: Aviad Levis Annenberg 105
- May 28, 2019 12:00 PM IST Lunch Bunch Speaker: Aviad Levis Speaker: Annenberg 105
- More Events »
A day-long event focused on providing startups and companies with a chance for meaningful interactions with undergraduate and graduate students, providing students with an opportunity to find out more about the breadth of applications for computing and mathematical sciences across industries.
Alumni College: Caltech Computes
A day-long event that will explore the ways in which computational thinking is disrupting science and engineering, and creating entirely new disciplines with "CS+X".
Ten Years of DNA Origami
A symposium to honor Paul Rothemund’s contribution to the field.
Caltech's premier interdisciplinary hackathon.
One Entangled Evening
A night of science and entertainment celebrating Feynman’s quantum legacy.
CDS 20th Anniversary
Control and Dynamical Systems celebrates its 20th anniversary.
Southern California Symposium on Network Economics and Game Theory.
CS 25th Anniversary
Computer Science celebrated 25 years of innovative, ground-breaking research.